Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Season Petites Luggage Tag

Mother's Day is fast approaching so I made this small gift to give to my cousin who always includes me at her holiday dinners. This is from a Brightneedle leaflet, "Season Petites". I used a cafe mocha fabric from Enchanted Fabrics and a Moda fabric lining. It was hard to find one fabric for the stitching that would make all the seasons 'pop'. I changed the lettering colors at least to be darker to show up better.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Trilogy Square Baby Sampler

The little boy babies are just cropping up everywhere it seems. For my co-worker with a newborn second baby, I picked this design by the Trilogy. The model on the leaflet cover was done with Gentle Art and Weeks Dye Works threads. But the chart included DMC colors as well. Using the DMC colors listed would have given this a completely different look, although probably a very nice look. I used all DMC, but I chose my own colors in a lot of cases. For some areas, I could use DMC color variations. In others, I used 2-3 colors that seemed to match the hand-dyeds and just randomly filled in the spaces, changing colors every so often.

This was also the first time I had done significant over-one stitching. The heart house on the left is all in over-one. The fabric is 28-count Monaco in antique white. The Monaco is such a sturdy fabric that it supports the over-one really well. But it was a chore, no doubt.

I met a nice woman in the fabric shop who was selecting threads for a finished quilt top. So I helped her pick out colors and she helped me pick the backing fabric. I wouldn't have thought of using green. I was looking for something in the rust/barn red area, but the green really worked best I think. The ribbon is the wired type.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Alternative Energy

A couple of quick finishes. The first is a card for my cousin the bicycle enthusiast. This design is by Radical Cross Stitch and was originally done as a logo for a Texas bicycle event. The fabric is a hand-dyed aida from Sassy's Fabbys. It's a pretty green, but I don't think it shows so well in the photo. The thread is DMC color variations 4240.

And second, a teenie weenie crocheted kitty. The pattern includes a long tail so you can use him as a bookmark. But I omitted that to use him as an embellishment on some as yet to be decided project. You can find the pattern here along with several others, but beware there is one mistake in this one. The directions omit the 'turn' after you complete the head. If you followed the directions as written, your kitty will have both legs on the same side of the head!

Also, I received a lovely mail-art envelope from my partner, Liz, in the Stitchin' Fingers mail-art exchange. Liz chose an apple theme. I love how she used an apple print for the lining. I'm busy studying this one to see how she did the construction. Liz is a very accomplished needlewoman so I knew she would have some great ideas for this even though this was her first attempt at mail-art. And be sure to check her blog to see all her fine work and especially the incredible dolls she makes!

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cute as a button

Meet Abigail, my latest stitched comfort doll. Abigail totes a comfort doll of her own so she is very aware of the importance of her role. This design comes from a leaflet called 'Cute As A Button'. The designs in the leaflet are based on a series of dolls by Cheri Saffiote and adapted for x-stitch by Annie Morgan. I think I'll do one more of these since I had so much fun stitching this one.

And this teeny little bunny is here to wish everyone a very happy bunny day. He's only about 1.25" long. Directions for crocheting the little guy can be found here.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Quaker Mail Art

My first cross stitch envelope has reached my partner in the exchange on Stitchin' Fingers. Have to confess...I cheated. I mailed it inside of another envelope. Just couldn't bring myself to mail it without any protection at all.

I found it more difficult than I expected. Planning the layout was complicated. I made a mistake in placement and had to improvise at the end for the construction. That's why you see the flap made from the lining fabric. I sewed the side seams by hand since they were kind of bulky. I think I might look for a different construction method if I were to do another one of these.

I used the free Quaker house design from Annie Beez Folk Art on the front and the Nesting Bird design from Aury on the back. The fabric is Vikki Clayton linen and the lining has a design of houses in case you can't see that in the photo.