Monday, August 31, 2009

Batty and the Spider

Here is my version of 'Batty' by MonsterBubbles from the 2008 JCS Halloween issue. I loved the way they did the finishing in the magazine with lots of pins around the edge strung with different beads. But that was just too much for me. They used a dark tobacco colored fabric that I loved, but I used a piece of Cafe Mocha from enchanted fabrics that I had in my stash with some Moda fabric trim.

The hanger is crocheted from these directions for a leaf chain. That orange crochet cotton was tough to find. Even on-line a lot of stores were out of stock. A lot of Halloween crocheting going on I guess.

I crocheted the spider from a design at Kreinik. My version is a modification of theirs. I skipped the web and mine is much smaller. Their directions for the head are what I used for the body.

This was fun to play with. I'm on a Halloween roll now.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Satire for some, brilliant idea for others

"Richard's Poor Almanack" by Richard Thompson is a satirical cartoon series published in the Washington Post. It often deals with political issues, sometimes very local issues. Last Saturday, the cartoon was a spoof of Country Fair Prizewinners. Take a look at the one on the bottom left, "Worst New Home Handicraft - Tweets rendered as samplers". Sounds like a great idea to me!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Halloween tag & birthday card

Last year's JCS Halloween issue had two cute pumpkin designs, each about the same size and using similar colors. Seemed perfect for a two-sided tag/fob. I used Monaco fabric and sewed up the two sides with no padding or interfacing. That fabric had plenty of body without anything extra. And the crop-a-dile worked great for attaching the eyelet with the with back washer.

First side is a design by the Sweetheart Tree:

Second side is by Jeannette Douglas:

And for a special young lady who is turning 15 shortly, I stitched up this cute high heel shoe from Joannne Sanderson for a birthday card design. And always on the look-out for a place to add a bit of crochet, I topped it off with a little quickie flower. The fabby is little piece of hand-dyed from Miek. Just ignore the part where I didn't notice that the hearts on the background paper are all upside down til it was a bit too late to do anything about it. Sigh....

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Holiday previews...

In these very hot days of summer, it can be hard to think about stitching for fall holidays. But I didn't have anything else on my 'urgent' to-do list. I've been scouring the web for little Halloween crochet motifs. Tons of them exist, but crochet instructions can be difficult to interpret, even from professional publishers, much less from amateurs who generously share their work. But I still love this little bat that I used last year and decided to use again. I thought he made a nice accompaniment to the Night Owl design from the Sept/Oct, 2008 issue of JCS. This was also my first stitching on 32 count Lugana. I liked the fabric, but not as much as I liked stitching on Jobelan.

I experimented a little on this card just to try something different. The design is from the July/Aug, 2008 issue of JCS. I changed the word from "Joy" to "Peace", but otherwise it's stitched as charted. The fabric is 36 ct linen from Vikki Clayton.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

It pays to exercise!

My Jazzercise team of two, the 'Jazzerinas', attended 60 classes between us since June 1. As part of the summer promotion, that entitled each of us to receive this beautiful tote bag and cosmetics case. It's like getting paid to exercise (almost). Isn't it cute?

The little jazzhead magnets are my personal exercise gurus. Modeled after the designs at All That Glitters.

And maybe the exercise acts as brain food too. Today I completed my first Saturday Washington Post 'hard' Sudoko puzzle. I'd only managed to solve the 'easy' and 'medium' ones from earlier in the week up til now.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Mine is off to a great start!

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sampler Finish

Finished stitching my sampler and sewing it up into a little pocket to hold small stitchy things. My local variety store had several nice fabrics that would work for the lining. It's a shame the lining doesn't show more.

I didn't do as much frogging on the second half, and I did remember to invert the pattern. Here's the second half by itself:

I really enjoyed doing so many different embroidery stitches. The little chain stitch button loop could have been more neatly done, but it works. Here are 3 views of the finished product. I might add a snap to each pocket to keep it closed, but it works pretty well as is: