Sunday, March 22, 2009

Drop back 5 yards and trapunto...

Using my wayback machine to return to the 70's, I was thinking about a needlepoint pillow I made in those days when needlepoint was all the rage. The pillow sits on a rocking chair to this day, but usually just seems like part of the wood work now. I couldn't remember the name of the technique I used, but after asking around on a couple of boards, I learned this from Jamie:

"The term for raising part of a design by stuffing (or adding cording) is trapunto. The term for attaching a piece to another layer is applique. So this would be either stuffed or trapuntoed applique.

And both of those techniques (among others) are some of those used in the needlework style known as stumpwork. Technically, a stuffed applique on canvas is a padded slip. (As is a slip which is appliqued over one or more layers of felt padding.)"

Two of the strawberries in the photo below were stitched on separate pieces of canvas and then stitched to the main canvas. The main canvas was then slit behind the berries and stuffed so the berries are raised, kind of 3-d like. If you can't see this very well (click on the photo to enlarge), the two raised berries are the 3rd from the bottom and the one directly above that, almost in the center of the piece.

The design was from one the Sunset needlepoint books that I no longer have.




And for cleaning up after French cooking, we have my latest dishcloth. I love these overlapping leaves. The design is called 'Vineyards' by Danielle Côté. Both the French and English versions of the pattern can be found here.

9 comments:

Jane said...

What a lovely cushion, that must have taken some time to do

Pumpkin said...

Annie, you continue to amaze me with the different talents that you have! Beautiful :o)

Patty said...

I remember my mom doing needlepoint back in the 70's but it was not as pretty as your pillow. I love how the strawberries are raised. I forgot to link to the the French blog with the SAL -- I'm glad you asked about it. http://samplermystere.canalblog.com/

Hey, I should just send you my printouts of the charts since you know I will never get around to doing it! :)

Mylene said...

Such a lovely finish, Annie.

Sandra said...

Hi!!! Whatever the name, it's just beautiful. Love the strawberries seeds.

Annette said...

Annie what lovely...
very nice

Felicity said...

Hi Annie, I haven't been to your site before (I don't think). I spent a pleasurable 5 minutes browsing the site. I love your work. I love your clear colours use. I love those vignes! Keep up the good work. I'll be back!

Olga said...

Annie,
What an interesting technique! Thank you for showing this beauty to us.

carpet cleaning Elk Grove CA said...

Your impressive and unique content amazed me. You have written perfect piece.