I'm still on my quest to find the best way to finish the 6" ruler sleeve. I stitched another of Vavi's 'long' alphabets, "ABC Romantique" on Edingburgh dirty linen. This time I did not do a full lining, but used iron-on interfacing to back the stitching. The border fabric is doubled. I folded in a seam allowance on each side, then folded up from the bottom and used a blanket stitch to sew the side seams. Blanket stitch is really hard to do nicely so that the back looks as good as the front. I never seemed to get the hang of piercing the fabric at an exact 90 degree angle. Now I understand why quilters don't usually go for the 'stab' method that x-stitchers use.
I also tried another one with just plain fabric and a quilt type binding. I added a crochet motif for interest. Not sure I like that one either. I think I may be giving up on this type of project.
Sandy of San-Man Originals discovered a vintage item that crocheters use to make, something called a spool pin doily. These are used on old sewing machines as a decorative replacement for a circular felt pad that sits under the top spool of thread for stabilization purposes I guess.
Here's a photo of one that is currently on sale on Etsy .
Sandy was planning to make one for her old Singer treadle machine, but it looked like something quick and fun to do so I made three and sent them to her. Such cute little things. They are each about 2.5" in diameter.
The first came from a flower pattern at this link:
I used crochet cotton doubled (I had a ball of thread that came that way already) and a size 6 steel hook. That made the hole about the right size. It's 2.5" in diameter.
This was an old motif from my stash. I think the pattern was from the "Harmony Guide to Crochet".
The final one is the Dahlia Circle from the book "25 Floral Blocks to Crochet":