Saturday, June 20, 2009

July 4th Gamble

For my first mail-art envelope, I chickened out and sent it inside another envelope. But that does kind of take the fun out of it a little. I wanted to try another in a different style of construction, so now that I've finished it, I'm going to take the plunge and send it 'au naturel'.

I didn't over do with stitching embellishment for this test. If I had really done a lot of stitching, I would be more disappointed if the envelope never made to its intended recipient. So I'm hedging my bets to soften the blow just in case.

The front design is a Roly-Poly Uncle Sam by Pam Kellogg, a freebie on the Kreinik site. The back designs are two small designs from this Better Homes and Gardens book.

I borrowed the construction ideas from Liz. I took a notecard envelope and opened it up. It became my template. I traced it onto the fabric. After stitching, I sewed a lining to the Aida. Then I just turned in the sides and sewed up the bottom flap. I think I will baste it closed for mailing.




12 comments:

Pike said...

That turned out real nice! I have been wanting to make one, but... haven't had the guts yet!

Pirjo from Finland
http://pirjoka.vuodatus.net

Jane said...

It's lovely. I put mine in clear cellophane wrapper so it is still visible, but protects the fabric.

Siobhán said...

That is super cute!! Great job.

Sandra said...

Perfect to be the first! Love how you matched the lining fabric.

BTW Ruby is a lovely gal!

Olga said...

Wow! I love your mailart,'it's pretty!

Chris said...

The envelope looks great. Hope it survives it's trip.

Liz in Kansas said...

It looks great! Very festive. Sure hope it survives the postal service. I haven't been brave enough to try yet!

Mylene said...

Your mailart turned out great. Hope to try that kind of finishing one day too.

Art4Sol said...

This is very clever!

Nita said...

It's very pretty! You will let us know how it survives the postal service, won't you?

Pumpkin said...

I've always wanted to do one of those too but I'm too chicken to mail them as you say, au natural ;o) Good luck with yours and I'm sure the recipient will love it!

Jenny said...

What a pretty envelope! And the designs you chose were perfect for the occasion. Your finishing also looks great :-)