For my first mail-art envelope, I chickened out and sent it inside another envelope. But that does kind of take the fun out of it a little. I wanted to try another in a different style of construction, so now that I've finished it, I'm going to take the plunge and send it 'au naturel'.
I didn't over do with stitching embellishment for this test. If I had really done a lot of stitching, I would be more disappointed if the envelope never made to its intended recipient. So I'm hedging my bets to soften the blow just in case.
The front design is a Roly-Poly Uncle Sam by Pam Kellogg, a freebie on the Kreinik site. The back designs are two small designs from this Better Homes and Gardens book.
I borrowed the construction ideas from Liz. I took a notecard envelope and opened it up. It became my template. I traced it onto the fabric. After stitching, I sewed a lining to the Aida. Then I just turned in the sides and sewed up the bottom flap. I think I will baste it closed for mailing.