Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ornament for Chelsea and Birthday Village Update

Some of you may know the story of Chelsea, a stitcher who passed away recently after a battle with a rare pulmonary disease and heart-lung transplant. Her parents own a dive shop in a suburb of New Orleans. You can read her story on the Harry's Dive Shop web site. Some of the stitchers on Vikki Clayton's message board have volunteered to make some ornaments for the family. I chose to do a door-hanger with a nautical theme as several others have. The design is from the now-defunct blog of Carmela. Carmela's blog was in French, so I left the wording in French. Seemed fitting since they are from Louisiana. The family referred to Chelsea as their little mermaid so I appliqued the crocheted mermaid and the little crocheted fish I made some time ago to the back. I used a very pale blue-green piece of 35 ct linen from a grab bag of Vikki linen. The ornament is stuffed with thread clippings.




The July installment of the SMO Birthday SAL, brought a much-needed bakery to the town. I believe there were some zoning problems, since the town regulations limit the height of gingerbread men on signage to be somewhat shorter than the average person in the town. But rumor has it that some pastry pay-offs convinced the town council to approve. It's a rumor.. you just never know.


23 comments:

Karen said...

Annie, the La Mer ornament is absolutely beautiful and how thoughtful of you to make it! I love the crochet work on the back, too. Your little village is adorable and your comments about the gingerbread men are hilarious!

Margaret said...

I love how your village is coming out -- so cute and very colorful too! That's so sweet of you and the other stitchers to make ornaments for Chelsea's family. It's a nice one you made too.

Jackie's Stitches said...

The LaMer ornament for Chelsea's family is so very special. I know they will treasure it. I was especially touched by your crocheted mermaid on the back.

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Beautiful work!

barbara said...

What a lovely tribute, and your crochet work just astounds me.

Your wee bakery is just too cute for words!

Anonymous said...

La Mer is beautiful. I love the embellishments on the back and know that the family will love it too. What a wonderful tribute.

Jane said...

Lovely to see the next installment of the village. Your crochet embellishments really add something to these hangings, I love the fish. I am sure the family will really appreciate it

Melanie said...

La Mer is just beautiful. :)

Ranae said...

I love the La Mer ornie, love the crochet pieces.

Nicky said...

Lovely ornament, that is such a thoughtful gift to give. Your bakery is cute - love that the council only needed a little persuasion to ease the regulations. lol

♥ Nia said...

La Mer is so pretty!! Lovely =)

Guess what I have on my desk right now... your gift :) I always have a bottle of water with me and now I have a pretty coaster on my desk at the office! lovely lovely =)

Siobhán said...

Oh, what a beautiful gift. I'm sure Chelsea's parents will be touched by the example of the love so many had for their daughter. Love your village, too! Great progress.

Lucy said...

Love the little town!!! Lol on the zoning laws.

Carol said...

What a special ornament, Annie--I know Chelsea's parents will treasure it. You are such a thoughtful person :)

That bakery is my favorite building yet--how cute that gingerbread man is!! The entire village is darling...

Annette said...

What a beautifull ornie you made for the parents.. So sweet of you to do.. Love the crochet pieces on the back.

What a cute Bakery on your SAL.... your town is getting great!!

Hetti said...

Such a loving ornament you have made Annie. It will be very precious for the family of Chelsea.

It must be fun to stitch your own village! Very nice!!

Sandra said...

Hi Annie! You made a lovely tribute to Chelsea, her family will cherish it. The mermaid is adorable!

That story of the bakery sign is so funny! It's looking wonderful :)

Anne said...

How nice of you to make the wonderful ornie for the family. The mermaid and fish are great as well. You little village SAL is looking so nice. I love all the colours.

kasia2609 said...

Bardzo lubię oglądać i podziwiam Twoje prace.

Gina said...

What a lovely little scene! Just love it. :)

Lainey said...

What a beautiful tribute Ornie you have made Annie.
The village is looking fab!

Pumpkin said...

What a heartbreaking story but so wonderful of all those stitchers to do something for the family. What you have done is just precious Annie :o)

ROFL! You are just too funny. Gingy is very cute though ;o)

Binchy said...

It's very beautiful !
Tu as un blog ADORABLE ! Quelles belles broderies !
Je reviendrai te voir.
Je te souhaite un agréable dimanche.
BISOUS.