Thursday, August 23, 2012

Expect a Miracle

Last night was the series finale of a summer documentary series on ABC-TV called NY Med.  It was a fascinating look into the workings of New York City hospitals, every bit as watchable as the old ER dramatic series that I was so fond of.   If you missed it and are interested, I think you can actually watch episodes online here.

The final show featured some patients with very serious medical conditions whose odds of survival were very slim.  In each case, the outcome was wildly successful, and the word 'miracle' seemed like an apt description of each.  I had to laugh after I thought of that, because I had been finishing up a piece of stitching with the title, "Expect a Miracle", as I watched.

This is a design by Gail Bussi from the June, 2009 issue of JCS.  It's a square for a World of Charity Stitching birdhouse-themed quilt .  Looks a bit different from the magazine photo since I used the DMC equivalents instead of the hand-dyeds.  And looks different in my photo than the real life verson.  I think I like my photo better than the real life one actually.  In any case, it was a fun stitch with pretty colors and very delicate.



Meanwhile,  Pumpkin  let me know that she received the little gift I made in honor of her latest miracle, Junior Pumpkin.  You can see photos of him on her blog.. just the cutest little guy ever.  The card design is an old Halloween motif from San-Man Originals.   Seemed perfect for this little newbie.  And I had those scrapbook overall brads around for a long time just waiting for the right project.

 

The birth sampler is the JBW French Country Pumpkin design, appropriate for the purpose, and not too girly for a boy.  I won that trimming fabric in a contest a couple of years ago, and I've been hoarding that too.  Glad to see my stash treasures finding a good home!

 




18 comments:

Margaret said...

How appropriate that you were stitching that Expect Miracles piece when watching that show Very pretty! And i bet Pumpkin was so pleased with your gifts for Pumpkin Jr.! Wonderful!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I love your Expect Miracles piece, it really is sweet and will be a great addition to the quilt. I'll bet Cathy was thrilled as could be at the gifts you sent her. How very thoughtful of you.

♥ Nia said...

I love your miracle piece! Beautiful =)

Cindy's Stitching said...

all very pretty. expect a miracle is my favorite.

mbroider said...

The expect a miracle project is so very nice! What a coincidence you were stitching that while watching the TV show:)

Jane said...

I love that card, as you say, it was perfect. In years to come, these will be really special to him.

butterfly said...

Love all your stitching, Really like the Gail Bussi one I love all her work. You made a wonderful job of them all,thanks for sharing, hugs.

Nima said...

wow...that's a lovely piece..beautiful words..

Carol said...

I have never seen that show, Annie, but it sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the link! Your piece for the charity quilt is perfect--I hope you get a photo of the whole quilt some day that you can share with us...

I can see why Cathey loved your gift and card for her baby boy--they are as adorable as he is :) Love that fighting pumpkin card--so very appropriate!

Hope you have a relaxing weekend :)

Melanie said...

I loved that show, if you can use the word 'love' about such gritty stuff, I guess. The first season they did in Boston was really great too.
Love all the stitchies! Those are perfect little gifts for Cathy. I'm sure they cheered her up, getting a nice little surprise like that in the mail.

Anne said...

What a great design by Gail Bussi! I love that saying!! How sweet of you to send Pumpkin a cute card and little birth sampler. I love the finish Annie! Junior is so adorable!

Liz in Kansas said...

Wow! You've been busy! I love all those patterns but I really, really like the French Country Pumpkin. Wait! I think I have that pattern, too! No telling where it is "filed" though. I'll just enjoy looking at your work for now.

Annette said...

What a beautifull pieces you have made for Cathey.. Beautifull!!
And you spoiled baby pumpkin so much.. wonderfull
The first pic.. love the pattern so pretty/happy/colorfull

Karen said...

The Expect a Miracle design is so pretty, I love designs with birds and birdhouses! The little pumpkin card is adorable and so is the French Country Pumpkin. Lovely finishing jobs on those, too!

Rachel S-H said...

The birth announcement for Pumpkin Junior is beautiful! And the card is adorable.

Lulu said...

Wow I love the way your French pumpkin work turned out! What a great idea to make it into a birth sampler. I am tempted to try stitching that design now.

Sandra said...

Lovely charity square, the design is so cheerful and sweet. Funny that you were watching medical miracles as you watched.

Little pumpkin's birth record and card turned out so nice. You're right, the fabric is perfect for it.

Michelle said...

Miracle is such a lovely piece and how appropriate considering the show you were watching :) The finishes for Junior Pumpkin are so cute!