Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Birthday, Valentine, July Quilt Square

I guess we are all kind of mad at the ground hog this year, but  I stitched him up anyway from the Prairie Schooler "Winter Wind" leaflet #133.   Thought he would make a good companion birthday card to the February design I stitched for my brother and showed in the previous post.  Not particularly birthday-themed, but it says "Happy Birthday" inside, and the little guy was too cute not to forgive him for his prediction.  Writing this as I sit on the rain/ice line for this evening's predicted storm. 


Valentine's day is sure coming around quickly this year.  I stitched up this little "Snow Fun" piece from The Floss Box for the occasion.  Probably not meant to be a Valentine design, but that little heart in the hand of the snowman did the trick for me.

Both pieces were stitched on 18 ct hand-dyed Aida from Sassy's Fabbys.  I seem to have a ton of this and it's great for little cards.

Also finished a quilt square for a WOCS quilt, "Months of the Year".  This quilt filled up quickly with stitcher sign-ups, and July was one of the few months left.  Anyone remember this Country House SAL from 2007,  by Maryse?  The charts have mostly been sitting in a freebie folder on my computer waiting for the right occasion.  Doesn't that chaise lounge look inviting right about now?  Only trick part was figuring out how to do a lower case "y" that didn't go below the line.  Since this was a French pattern, and the original text was "Juillet", there was no need to leave space.  I think mine works ok.   This is stitched on 25-ct bone Lugana over two... a totally relaxing stitch.  And it just now occurs to me that I haven't stiched my name and state on this piece.  Blogging is so helpful for jogging the memory!




20 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

Sweet finishes! I can't resist the little Valentine snowman, it's so cute! :)

Peggy said...

I love the July piece Annie. It makes me think of summer and believe me, summer in Florida gets really hot, but I enjoy hot days.
Peggy (WOCS)

Vickie said...

Great small pieces. Yes, our snow won't possibly be melted in 6 weeks.

Annette said...

You made some beautifull pieces!
so funny, I can understand you are tired of teh snow, and know you stitch snow.. lol..
We had 3 sunny days here.. even teh flowers are getting in too bloom

Mylene said...

Very creative with tthe cards, Annie. Beautiful!!
And lovely July design for the quilt.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Such sweet finishes! I'm ticked at the groundhog but I love your stitched one! Adorable!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your Y looks perfectly placed! I think right now the chair in the sunshine is the place to be!

staci said...

Really cute stitching Annie. We never listen to the groundhog here because March is our snowiest month!

Margaret said...

I love all your finishes! They are so cute! We are expected to get hit with snow and freezing stuff. I hope we don't lose power. :(

Anne said...

Wonderful finishes Annie! I always feel bad for the groundhog who gets blamed for more winter. It's really not his cute, furry fault :( The snowman with the heart is darling and perfect for a Valentine!

Jane said...

What a contrast in one post-snow and heat wave, lol. Love the way you've finished the groundhog card, very effective

Brigitte said...

Annie, the two cards you stitched and finished are so sweet, I love them. And a snowman holding a little heart sure counts as a Valentine card - regarding all the snow that you have over there. I also try to make at least one stitched card per month, it's such a nice way to use those little designs.
Yes, I still remember Maryse's SAL with all the monthly little houses. I think I'll have to go through them again and maybe stitch one or the other. Yours looks really good and very inviting, lol.

geeky Heather said...

Very cute cards!! Fortunately, we live far enough away from Punxsutawney Phil that we have our own grounding...General Beauregard Lee. =) He was smart and did not see his shadow...probably knew it was wise considering the percentage of the population that owns shotguns.....

ArchangelDecker said...

Love your finishes. I, too, am ready for warmer weather. Although, to be fair, my area of the country has not been socked with unrelenting snow and ice.


Take heart, however. According to data from the Stormfax Almanac, data shows that Punxsutawney Phil's six-week prognostications have been correct only 39 percent of the time. And from 1969 on (when the accuracy of weather records is less in question), Phil's overall accuracy rate drops to 36 percent. Not even a Las Vegas bookie would take those odds! :)


Hope you're having a great week!

Carol said...

Ahhh... I think I'll just gaze at your summery last finish and imagine I'm there, Annie! We got six more inches of snow and ice last night--ugh! I just got in from shoveling the driveway and my arms are literally shaking...

Both cards are very cute--I think that little snowman is perfect for Valentine's Day and I think I prefer your stitched ground hog to the real thing. Have you ever seen the giant teeth on the real one? Yikes!!

Hope your weather improves this week--I've about given up on ours!

Anne said...

Snow, snow, snow, it's gotta be, as it's part of winter!, but just think Spring is only less than 3 months away! :). Yippee!! Lol. Annie, your stitching is very cute and I especially love your snowman card!! :)

Melanie said...

Awwww. He's a cute little hog. :)

I am TOTALLY down with the snowman valentine. We're covered in snow all February long. He TOTALLY belongs. Very appropriate in my book!

That will make a lovely square for the quilt. :)

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Such very sweet and sweetly created cards :) DARLING! I love them all!

Karen said...

I love all of these small beauties! The little ground hog is so cute, I've always loved Prairie Schooler designs.

♥ Nia said...

Oh that floss box design is so cute! :)
Adorable stitching sweetie!!