Friday, March 13, 2015

May Basket Pouch & Secret Egg Hunt

I recently saw someone stitch "May Basket" by Blackbird Designs, and I fell in love with that little piece.  Not sure why I singled that one out, but I decided to stitch it up.  The finish I saw appeared to use a mix of hand-dyed threads and DMC.  Mine is all DMC, but some different colors.  I made it into a 4" square pouch to hold my earbuds.  I don't use earbuds much so I just keep them close by.  When I browse the web using my Nook and want to view a video or something that makes noise, I need to use them temporarily.  The Nook volume is way too low, even turned up to high, without the buds.  So now they have a nice home.

I used rick rack again as a trim, this time pressing the piece so the trim faces the border and not the linen.  I substituted three little buttons instead of stitching my initials.  It's done on 36ct Edinburgh Dirty linen.  A cute little thing, no?



I always wanted to stitch "Secret Egg Hunt" by the Trilogy.  I just never had a reason to do it or a use for  it til now.  WOCS started a "Spring is in the Air" quilt and blocks with bunnies and eggs were welcome.   I left out the boring one row border.  I don't think it's necessary for a quilt square like this.  I stitched it on 25 ct. Platinum Lugana.  All the colors really popped on that color.  And 12.5 stitches to the inch?  A dream to stitch with.  So easy to see.  I can stitch so quickly on fabric like this.  I think 2 strands still covers it very well too, making the loop method for starting off still possible.  I also think the designs on these quilt squares can look nicer when the aren't so teeny weeny.

Interesting tidbit time.  You may remember that about a year ago I stitched a portrait of my brother.  I used a photo of Larry David since my brother looks so much like him and is often mistaken for him.  Click here to see that post.  Well, it turns out that Larry David went to the University of Maryland at the same time that I was there.  The Washington Post had a recent article written by the sweetheart of his fraternity.  Turns out that I knew a few of his fraternity brothers, one of whom was sort of my stalker.  I would never go out with the guy, but if I had known that it might lead to meeting the soon-to-be famous LD, I might have said 'yes'.    Click here for a link to the article.  It's a good read if you are an LD or Seinfeld fan.  If you scroll down you can see a photo of a reunion they had some years ago at the writer's house.  I may recognize my stalker in that photo, but I'm not sure.  It was a long time ago.

23 comments:

Nancy said...

Such pretty and colorful stitching! That is so cool that you and Larry David were at the University of Maryland at the same time!

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a wonderful idea for your earbuds....and the stitching is beautiful! blessings, marlene

Blu said...

Lovely stitching! I really like the colours in Secret Egg Hunt.

nikiad.blogspot.gr said...

Lovely stitching , Annie !!!!!

Jane said...

Love the little pouch, beautifully finished as always

Anonymous said...

beautiful work, love the ornament you have made

Vickie said...

ooOoo! These are both sweet patterns. I love that hiding bunny in the center. ;)

Sheryl said...

Lovely work Annie, such pretty bright happy colours.

Margaret said...

Ok, I have to say that is completely cool about Larry David. So close and yet so far! lol! Isn't it funny how someone can be a part of your life in such interesting ways? I'm always going to think of you now whenever I see Larry David.

Love your two finishes. Now if I were creative enough, I'd have pretty earbud holders too. Nope. Not me.

Carol said...

Loved reading about Larry David and his fraternity, Annie--that must have been a fun place to be on a Saturday night (or any night!) with him in residence :) Yuk on the stalker, though. I had/have one of those from high school days which is one reason I don't do much of anything on FB.

Your earbud pouch turned out so cute--you are going to have the most organized apartment around with all of your sweet pouches for everything :) And I love the Trilogy piece--how cute is that with the bunnies and eggs and that teeny little chick.

Hope things are warming up down your way--enjoy your weekend (it's raining here :(...

Cindy's Stitching said...

So pretty Annie. You did a great job.

Annette-California said...

Your May Basket pouch is Beautiful!!! Love your color changes. I was laughing at your stitching on 25ct fabric - I know all to well how nice it is to stitch on such a large count fabric. When I stitch on 28ct I keep loosing the my needle on he back side because it just falls right thru - LOL!!!
Darling darling Secret Egg Hunt piece! I enjoyed your story about LD. Who knew??? love Annette

Jackie's Stitches said...

The Trilogy piece and the earbud pouch are just darling. You are so good about stitching for the upcoming season. I seem to be an off season stitcher.

Cool about LD. Not cool at all about the stalker!

Mylene said...

Such beautiful finishes, Annie. Love the earbud pouch, such a great idea.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

What a fun finish, Anne! Such a clever idea. I have that Trilogy kit in my stash. I should get it out and stitch it up. Glad to know it's a quick one. Yours turned out great. Have a good week!

♥ Nia said...

Lovely stitching, that easter piece looks so fun with all those colors :)
Oh I do remember that post very well!! :D Fun real life episode!! :D
hugs to you

Mii Stitch said...

Both finishes are lovely! Just love pouches (we always find a use for them!) and the stitching with the Easter egg is so colourful, it looks just perfect ;)

Melanie said...

It's a super cute pouch! Both pieces are perfect for spring. Lots of color. That little bunny peeking out from behind the egg KILLS me. lol

How crazy is that connection to Larry David? Would you have REALLY dated someone that looks just like your brother though? :)

Holly said...

Beautiful as always, Annie...I always get inspired when I come here. The buttons are a very sweet touch.

I confess that I had to google Larry David since I had never heard of him...go Terrapins! :)

Anne said...

Adorable finish for your earbuds Annie!! I love seeing this BBD design stitched up. Is it an older pattern? The other quilt block is sweet too. Can't wait to see your finish!

Brigitte said...

This little pouch for your earbuds is a great idea, and so beautifully stitched and assembled. This colourful BBD design is a little beauty for itself. And colourful is also your square, it just shows spring from its best side.

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie, I'm Lindsey! I have a question and would love to speak with you. Please email me when you have a chance, thanks so much! I look forward to talking with you soon :)

lindseyDOTcaldwellATrecallcenterDOTcom

Annette said...

What a beautifull pieces you made.
I love the Egg hunt pattern.. really great!
The ricrac looks so great on your Finish!
Your did as always a wonderfull job!!