This post is one of those where things just didn't come out as I had hoped. I was recently reminded of some very cute free alphabet designs of Vavi. Click here for the charts. These designs were so cute, but it was not obvious how to use them given the size of the finish. I got the idea to make them into 6" ruler sheaths as gifts for kids. I plan to donate them to WOCS.
My favorite was the "Jardin d'Oiseaux", i.e. "Garden of Birds". So I got to work stitching it up on 36ct Edinburgh Summer Khaki linen. As I stitched, I kept thinking about how I would construct the sheath, and I came up with several different ways in my mind's eye. My mind's eye only sees what it wants to and seems to miss the tricky parts. Besides having to go to 6 stores before I found 6" rulers.. who knew that this was another almost obsolete item?..., this turned out to be a bear to stitch up. I almost ruined it with too much taking it apart and re-trying. I'm not really happy with the result, but the at least the ruler fits nice and I kind of like the wraparound alphabet. But I'll look for some other way to construct these in the future. I don't plan to give up!
The second disappointment was in the category of "I should have known better". I had a T-shirt that, once again, had a blueberry yogurt stain right in the center. I figured I'd stitch a quick little motif over it to salvage the shirt. I picked the little girl hare from Plum Street Hare's Easter.
I knew that designs with stems and parts that are only one or two stitches thick just never turn out right on T-shirts. But I had forgotten that rule. The shirt is wearable, but the stitches are so wild, it's a nightmare. Best to wear in the presence of near-sighted people who aren't wearing their glasses and are standing far way.
Hope my next post has a finish I'm happier with.