Seems weird to me to be stitching Halloween designs in July, but the stitcher wants what the stitcher wants. I saw this cute witchy mermaid stitched up on the Midnight Stitching blog. There was no reference to its origin and I thought the blog owner had designed it. I wrote to her and she quickly returned my e-mail to let me know this is part of the "Stranded Jacks" patterns by Plum Street Samplers. I love the titles on Plum Street designs.. so inventive. I couldn't wait to stitch it up. The top photo is oddly blurry. I guess my hand was shaky.. witches can be quite scary, at times.
I went for a stand-up finish. It's only 3" on a side when completed so I can stand her right by my computer and glance at her from time to time. The fabric is 18 ct hand-dyed aida from my long ago acquired Enchanted Fabric stash. I made a braid out of three of the colors in the design. Braided just like a hair braid with 2 full 6-strands lengths of each color. That's much easier for me than doing twisted cord. I usually sew on trim, but this time I glued it. The little green ribbon hides the spot where the cord ends come together. I definitely need to find a better way to handle that part.
Next I stumbled upon Lizzie Kate's "Ghosties & Ghoulies" design. So cute and I wish the photo did justice to the card finish. Again, the fabric is 18 ct hand-dyed Aida in a nice brown color and the mat card stock is true black like the ribbon trim. The outer card is a cream color. I picked that ribbon up in a clearance basket at A.C. Moore the last time I was there. I knew it would work for a Halloween card of some sort. This is the first time I tried wrapping the ribbon around the mat so the raw edges are hidden. It was a bit bulky, but this ribbon was kind of stiff, so maybe a regular ribbon would have worked better. At any rate, I like the effect. I added one teeny star sequin on the left. Somehow that spot looked bare.
And now I'll get on my broom and fly back to July.