Sunday, November 15, 2015

Reindeer Ornament and Mitts

So two finishes to show today. I'm amazed I rallied to do this.  Ezia Gladstone of New York Dreamer had a very cool reindeer design in the 2015 JCS ornament issue.  I didn't plan to stitch it since part of its coolness was due to the hand-dyed threads needed and I wasn't up to mail ordering those just for the purpose.  Then I saw a finish of it on a FB group that looked quite different from the one in the magazine.  I'm not sure whether the stitcher changed colors or not, but I got inspired to pick my own colors for another look.  I stitched it over-one on 30 ct Northern Cross natural linen.  This is a very stiff linen, almost akin to needlepoint canvas.  I didn't really mind that, but it was unexpected.  The major change was to a darker gray for the reindeer's body.  I went for a flatfold finish.. good companion to the two little Bambi's in my previous post.  Again, I did the 3-color braid for the trim.  This will make a cute little gift as well...somewhat non-traditional colors (DMC 3787, 738, 4140 , 938 for the highlight on the scarf and 815 or 816 for the nose).



I had bought a ball of Paton's Jade Classic Wool last year to knit a couple of pairs of fingerless gloves, but I never got around to doing that project.  Something made me pick it up recently and I did a really quick and easy pattern called Wabi Mitts.  The link will take you to the free pattern on Ravelry.  The interesting thing was the thumb gusset done in reverse stockinette.  I had a little trouble with the odd instructions for the thumb, but these are for me so no problem.  I wanted a pair that  fit and didn't have long cuffs for indoor wear.  I think I reached my objective. These are really more of blue-green than the way they look on my monitor.   





25 comments:

Margaret said...

Those mitts are so nice! I haven't done things like mitts or mittens before. Part of my problem is I have child sized hands, part is that I have a fear of DPNs (although I have used them before). And how does the thumb part work? I need to just try and do it sometime. Love the deer too! The colors are very pretty, and the flatfold finish looks great!

Robin in Virginia said...

I really like your version of the deer ornament and I like that it is finished as a flat fold. What grey did you use? Your fingerless mitts look very warm and cozy.

Vickie said...

Good for you! The deer looks great!
I like those fingerless gloves. I cannot knit, so I bought a pair last year. It is cold here in the winter!!

twinpeakprimitives said...

Congrats on such a wonderful finish! Reindeer ornament is seriously brilliant ♥ Wonderful mitts too ♥Love the color!

Have a lovely week!
Nurdan

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Very nicely done on both items. Have a good week!

Cindy's Stitching said...

That is beautiful. I like the gloves to

Mylene said...

Beautiful flatfold finished and love the colours you've chosen for it as well as the color for the mitts.
Happy week.

Preeti said...

Beautiful finish !! :) the mitts are looking nice !

Christine said...

Great mittens and I love the reindeer finish!

Kirsten said...

So time for mitts again ;-)
It's unusual warm here though...
They look interesting. Like a braid beneath the stockinette part.
Cool reindeer too. Good job on the colors.
Kirsten

Carol said...

Oh, Annie, I really LOVE the color choices you made for the reindeer--what a great finish. The braided edge in matching threads adds such a nice effect, too. I have the JCS 2015 issue--will have to take a closer look at that chart!

Your mitts will keep you nice and toasty indoors this winter--and what a pretty color. They have such gorgeous shades of yarn these days--almost makes me wish I knew how to knit :)

Hope you are enjoying some lovely warm weather like we are!

Holly said...

That ornament caught my attention as well but I absolutely love your color changes. Well done! You have a great eye for color. Love the sweet mitts as well. I've crocheted a few wrist/hand warmers and love how easy they are to work up but my pattern was easy, with only a slit for a thumb opening.

Sheryl said...

love the colours you have chosen for the reindeer ornament and the braid. it will make a pretty gift.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I LOVE your color changes. Really suits the linen and has a classic look which I enjoy. It's finished beautifully as well.

Great fingerless mitts. I love fingerless knits and need to knit myself another pair. They're great when my hands are cold but still need to use my fingers.

Annette said...

You stitch, crochet and also knit. You can do eveything!
And so beautifull.
you can use those mittens good. the cold is back..
Maybe next one with fingers?
that reindeer is cute!!

Penny said...

I love your reindeer finish! And those mitts are so pretty. I'm still hoping to learn to knit someday. :)

ArchangelDecker said...

The deer turned out wonderful!

Those mittens look so warm and cozy!

Anonymous said...

Oh I do love those reindeer, the two little ones and now the bigger one. They turned out lovely. Love that you took matters into your own hands and decided on your own colors and linen! Beautiful as always!

Jane said...

Love the way you finish those flat folds. Those gloves look really cosy, the reverse stocking stitch on the thumb makes for an interesting feature

Brigitte said...

Oh great, your new flatfold finish. Your colour version of the reindeer just makes for a very different look. I love it :)
They look so wonderfully warm, these mittens. Good for you to have them finished now when winter starts. We are supposed to have our first snow this coming wekend and believe me, I am NOT looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

What fab finishes, Annie!! Those mitts are to die for! And I really, really like your take on the JCS reindeer - great colors!!! And I've always loved a nice flat-fold finish!

ricketyjo said...

What lovely finishes! Stay nice and warm, those mitts look lovely and cosy!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Annie I just love your reindeer - and the way you've finished it. Is there a tutorial somewhere for that finish...I'd love to see one. blessings, marlene

♥ Nia said...

Such a lovely finish! Well done :D
Your mitts look awesome too!!
Happy December to you my friend :) hugs&smiles

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie,

I just stumbled upon your blog and love it! I've always wanted to know (and hoping you can help me out), when "braiding" the trim for the edge of an ornament, how do you calculate what length of floss you'll need to be sure to cover the entire edge and create the loop for hanging? For example, for a 4" x 4" square ornament with loop, how much floss do you start with BEFORE it's braided?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
~~Joanne