Sunday, June 26, 2016

Signs of Summer Tin and ABC Cubes

A couple of years ago I started stitching Bent Creek's "Signs of Summer" for an Altoid tin top and I just stopped in the middle.  My fabric was similar to the suggested one, but the colors just weren't showing up right.  I tried changing them, but I began to hate the whole thing.  Recently I discovered the half-finished piece while searching for something else, and although I didn't like it any better, I decided to try again on a piece of 28 ct cornflower blue Jobelan.   I'm much happier with the finish this time.   I glued a couple of buttons on the outer lid to hide my messy ribbon gluing job.






I actually had more fun finding applique crochet patterns to decorate the inside lid.  Thread crochet is so fiddly that I had some false starts.  But I finally settled on some patterns that worked.  I don't know if I'll keep the sea turtle in the tin, but he definitely looks cute.  The shell comes out kind of rounded by design, so one could add a little batting for a 3-d look.

If you are interested, these the are links to the free crochet patterns I used:

Tiny round fish
http://bunnymummy-jacquie.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/sail-away-crochet-pattern.html

Long fish
http://mymerrymessylife.com/2012/04/crochet-goldfish-applique-free-crochet-pattern.html

Spiral seashell
http://dascrochetconnection.blogspot.com/p/sea-shell-garland.html

Sea turtle
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sea-turtle-applique-2




And finally, Ele's ABC SAL is complete!  Here is the final block:

I'm very proud of myself for actually doing the finishing.  This is the kind of thing that can live in a drawer for a long time until the finishing mood strikes me!  I decided to arrange them with the ABC as the top of one block and the 123 as the top of the other. Then the sides are the rest of the alphabet.  The bottoms of each are the remaining number blocks.  I stuffed them lightly with poly-fill so they are scrunchy.   My eyes are really starting to rebel in the evenings so I think I made tons of mistakes in all those seams.  I was trying to stitch by feel and that's really not a good technique.  Not sure what I'll do with these.  I think a baby could rip them apart so they aren't really toys.  I'll just admire them for now.






23 comments:

Vickie said...

:D Your tin is so cute!!!
Good for you getting that cube all done. It looks great Annie.

CalamityJr said...

Well done on the blocks; this is the first I've seen them finished. Love the tin and crocheted pieces!

Margaret said...

Love how the blocks came out! Good for you for doing the finishing and not letting the pieces sit waiting. (Which I would have done. lol!) Love your tin finish, as always. The crochet touches are so nice! I need to learn how to crochet -- or at least relearn what I've tried and continue on from there. Love that little turtle!

Robin in Virginia said...

What an adorable tin, Annie! I like it on the cornflower blue jobelan. The inside critters are cute. Congratulations on getting the last SAL block stitched and way to go on getting the blocks put together. They turned out great.

Jane said...

oh, I love that turtle, it's adorable. The blocks have come out well, enjoy admiring them

Annette-California said...

Your tin is over the top!!! Oh it's sooo cute and then the surprises inside.....loooove��
Beautiful yarn you selected! Congrats on your lovely cube! Beautiful!!!! Love Annette

Preeti said...

The tin is so wonderfully done with all the appliqués !! Congrats on completing the SAL and finishing it promptly and beautifully :)

KimM said...

The tin is adorable...and love your blocks! Exceptional.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Your tins are more and more beautiful. I LOVE this one! I collect turtles! Ever since I studied some Native American Spiritualty and learned that in one tribe the turtle was the voice of God! Wish I knew how to crochet!!! And your block is delightful. What a creative use for the small squares!!! Nice work. Hug! Happy summer!

Mii Stitch said...

Oh wow!!! I love your latest tin!!!
Look at that sweet design and the awesome crochet work inside!!!
Super Duper finish, well done :)

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Absolutely love the tin topper! So cute!

Mini said...

You are the queen of Altoid tins..ha ha. Good that you swapped the fabric and decided to try again . It turned out beautiful. Loving the small crochet pieces too.

Wow congrats on finishing the SAL and finish finishing it. I agree with such kind of finish ,the stitch piece has a chance to lie in the drawer for years.

Carol said...

The right fabric can make such a difference as your latest tin finish proves, Annie--it is so adorable. And the care you took to find and make the perfect crocheted adornments makes it all the more special. Great job (as always! :)

Your blocks are the first I've seen stitched up and they really look darling. They would look cute placed in a little basket with leaves or greenery :)

Enjoy these last few days of June--where is this summer going!!!

Hetti said...

You feel the breeze of summer on the Altoid tin Annie. It is so cute on the out and inside with the fish and turtle!
Congratulations with your finished cube...You did it!!
XXX Hetti

Penny said...

One of these days I'm really going to try and do one of these tins. Yours are so cute, and I love the little crocheted additions! And good for you finishing your cubes - I think you did a lovely job!

Jackie's Stitches said...

The blocks are wonderful! If you struggled with the seaming it sure doesn't show!

Brigitte said...

A great post, Annie. So good that you started the little summer piece over, it's so sweet and perfect for the little tin. You are the queen of altoid tins, yeah, Mini said it right. And these crochet pieces that you attached inside the tin are so pretty. A great idea.
You were on a finishing spree, weren't you :) These blocks are gorgeous, it seems that the little squares were just made for this finishing technique. Great job, Annie.

Cindy's Stitching said...

The tin is so pretty, really like the finishing.

Gina E. said...

LOL, Brigitte got it right when she posted above that you are the Queen of altoid tins! I'm loving all these latest finishes as I do all your work, Annie :-) Not for the first time, I wish I lived next door to you...sigh...

Rachel said...

I LOVE that tin! What a cute idea! I wish I was so creative with my finishes, I would be much more motivated to stitch.:)

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Thank you for letting us admire your cubes as well. They are wonderful. I also love your tins! Glad you finished that piece. It came out lovely, and the little crocheted pieces inside are precious.

Sheryl said...

Your altoid tin is beautiful, love the cornflower blue fabric and the gorgeous crochet fish and turtle, great work. the cubes are intersting and unique.

Karen said...

The tin is really cool and I love the little crocheted creatures, especially the turtle, he's so cute! Those blocks are beautiful, too, and so nicely finished!