Friday, April 24, 2009

Trilogy Square Baby Sampler

The little boy babies are just cropping up everywhere it seems. For my co-worker with a newborn second baby, I picked this design by the Trilogy. The model on the leaflet cover was done with Gentle Art and Weeks Dye Works threads. But the chart included DMC colors as well. Using the DMC colors listed would have given this a completely different look, although probably a very nice look. I used all DMC, but I chose my own colors in a lot of cases. For some areas, I could use DMC color variations. In others, I used 2-3 colors that seemed to match the hand-dyeds and just randomly filled in the spaces, changing colors every so often.

This was also the first time I had done significant over-one stitching. The heart house on the left is all in over-one. The fabric is 28-count Monaco in antique white. The Monaco is such a sturdy fabric that it supports the over-one really well. But it was a chore, no doubt.

I met a nice woman in the fabric shop who was selecting threads for a finished quilt top. So I helped her pick out colors and she helped me pick the backing fabric. I wouldn't have thought of using green. I was looking for something in the rust/barn red area, but the green really worked best I think. The ribbon is the wired type.

13 comments:

Rachel S-H said...

That is gorgeous! He is a lucky baby.

imnverted said...

Very cute! How did you finish the back of this piece? I have a baby sampler Im stitching for a friend and love how you finished yours.

Jane said...

We seem to be getting all girl babies here, lol. This is lovely and beautifully finished

Chris said...

Fabulous job.

Olga said...

Annie,
This is a very pretty work and you were so creative. I also like Monaco for over one stitching.
Have a great weekend!

Sandra said...

Isn't it nice the effect of some areas over two and others over one? I want to try it. I have only stitched one needleroll over one, but the fabric is good for it because the holes are big enough.

Annie your Birth samplers are something extraordinary, I have never dared to stitch one outside the typical baby designs, I'm afraid Venezuelan parents are somehow too traditional. The colors you chose are beautiful and the help you received was heaven sent, it makes the stitched are stand out.

As always, good job.

Mylene said...

The baby sampler looks great, Annie. I am sure they will love it. The colours you have chosen are beautiful and you have finish it off soo neat! Well done!

mainely stitching said...

What a great baby sampler! And lovely choices for finishing materials, too!

Daffycat said...

It's perfect Annie! I love this design.

Jenny said...

Another beautiful babysampler Annie! I really like the colors of this one and the houses are so cute.

Annette said...

What a nice baby sampler.

LeCanardQuiBrode said...

I love this !!! I want the same !!! :D Congratulations !

Miriam said...

Wow! What a stunning gift!