Thursday, January 26, 2012

Valentine Stitching

I love Valentine's Day and I always like to do some 'heart' stitching for the season. My first item is a card I made after being sick for a week and not doing much of anything. I had some computer problems and now that I'm back up, I can't seem to find the freebie that I used to stitch this design. It was the final thing I printed on my old computer from a collection of tree designs in monochrome with no specified colors. Maybe someone else will recognize it. I used a variety of pinks in no particular order on a scrap of hand-dyed Aida from Sassy's. The sequins are all different colors, but I think they don't show up too well on the photo. I felt like a kid in grade school arts and crafts making this up on Sunday morning.



My friend Jane did a double enabling trick on me for the next pieces. First, she introduced me to Raspberry Rabbits and the free heart of the month stitchery patterns that were offered on this site in 2011. I had been asking fellow blogging embroiderers how they transfer designs to fabric, and Jane told me about an inexpensive mini-light table, only 6" x 9", mostly designed for card-makers to use for embossing. I found one on overstock.com and took a chance that it would work out. Turns out to be perfect for smaller designs. I used each of my four favorite hearts as the centerpiece on a quilted coaster. Each of them has been received by a fellow stitcher at this point. It was good practice for me to make them.

One for Nia:


One for Annette:



One for Wendy:


One for Michelle:



I also sent Michelle a little manicure scissors to use for frogging a few stitches. The curved tips are perfect for this. I made a little pouch to hold it with a pretty crocheted motif as embellishment.




Finally, I was so charmed by the little triangular thread-catchers I had seen on so many blogs that I just had to try making one. Myra made tons of them as gifts so I figured maybe they were a quick project if she had time to make so many. I found the tute here. Easy to make, but hard to make perfect. I had to sew the sides by hand since my machine balked at going through 8 layers of fabric! Maybe there is a trick to this that I missed. Anyway, it's kind of cute sitting on the arm of my stitching chair and it continues my Valentine's theme.


21 comments:

Nima said...

wow...beautiful works...i love it...

Margaret said...

So many beautiful projects! Fun fun! I need a light box, but one that is bigger. I'm always too cheap to get one. lol!

geeky Heather said...

I "LOVE" them all. =) I'm so impressed by anyone that can sew or quilt! All those hearts are beautiful!

Anne said...

Lovely quilted hearts Annie! What a great idea for a thread catcher. I use a glass square (originally a candle holder) for 'catching'my threads. Have you any ideas on where to reuse the threads? I called the zoo but they won't take them. I thought that birds would like them and they do,in the neigbourhood, but cannot be caught leaving them in the tree. lol

Siobhán said...

Oh my goodness, Annie! Talk about getting a lot done. Everything is gorgeous! Your embroidery looks great. I want to get into that but instead just sit and stitch samplers--I need to break out of my comfort zone a bit, if I can remember how to do embroidery after all these years. Love the little thread catcher, too.

Jane said...

I love what you've done with the hearts and those thread catchers are adorable

Rachel S-H said...

Great work!

Lee said...

WOW! you have been busy. The thread catcher bag I have has a draw string at the top and pulled up it sits flat when not in use. And I agree its easier to hand stitch the side seams.

Carol said...

Looks like you're sending a lot of love around the world, Annie :) I saw your cute quilted coasters on Nia's and Annette's blogs and read about how excited they were to receive them...

And your thread catcher is adorable... I'll have to take a look at the tutorial, but I'm not sure if my weak sewing skills could handle this one :)

Glad your computer problems are fixed--it sure is hard not having a working one in this day and age!

Jackie's Stitches said...

What cute gifts for your friends! I've seen those thread catchers somewhere too and though they were a great idea! Can they be folded up to put in my stitching bag to take with me when I stitch with friends? I want to make one/several myself and had wondered about that.

barbara said...

How utterly adorable - wonderful Valentine's stitching. I decided to jump right to Easter, so I wouldn't be too late with it, but you're making me wish I hadn't!

Nancy said...

Don't you just love hearts and Valentine's Day! All of your projects are just beautiful!

Umintsuru said...

Thank you Annie. I love my coaster.

Anne said...

Annie you make the loveliest gifts!! I adore that Valentines card. The tree is dripping hearts :D I love crafting it up and adding glitter and glam to stuff. I get to do that with kids everyday! So much fun!!Thanks for the tutorial link. I will have to try it out sometime soon1!

Pumpkin said...

Okay Ms. Crafty! You've had too much time on your hands ;o) LOL! Great projects and I'm sure you put smiles on quite a few faces.

Hope you feel better by now.

Hetti said...

Hope you are feeling better now Annie!
You have been busy with the lovely little items you made for Valentine and the threadcather is very handy, thanks for the link ;-))
Hugs,

Annette said...

So you have been busy!!!
I so lov my piece!!
Thank you so much..

All the other pieces are also so beautifull!!!

♥ Nia said...

Lovely card Annie =)
You've been a busy lady!! And you made such gorgeous pieces :D I love mine, thank you so much =))
Have a lovely week my friend, hugs&smiles

Michelle said...

Dear Annie, thank you again for the lovely gift - it was such a wonderful surprise! All the other gifts you sent are also beautiful!

Hugs
Michelle

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow! You have gone Valentine crazy!!!!

Lucy said...

Thanks for the thread catcher link...love this and will make one. Thanks for the comments on my blog on the Altoid Tin....you're my inspiration on those! Love your work and ideas!