Sunday, October 12, 2014

Crochet Airplane and L'l Fairy

People who don't do any of the needle arts often assume that they are all the same and if you do one type, you do them all.  That's kind of the case with a friend of mine.  She's a fabulous party planner and it was her idea to do a baby shower for a co-worker.  She picked a 'travel' theme because the prospective parents do a lot of traveling.   While she was browsing on Etsy for ideas, she discovered a crocheted soft-toy airplane that she liked.  It seemed pricey to her, but when she showed it to me, I didn't really think it was over-priced for a hand-made item.  However, without her asking, I knew she was hoping I would volunteer to make one. 

I'm really not into crocheting little toys like that, especially an airplane!  A princess.. maybe.  Although instructions for these things look simple enough, I know there can be hidden gotchas once you start trying them out.  But I said I'd give it a try and cautioned her to have a Plan "B" ready. 

The cutest patterns looked way too difficult, but I found this free patten on The Craft Frog.  It looked like a good compromise --- cute and a good chance of coming out right.   I used a cotton dishcloth type yarn because I already had some.  It was definitely a challenge and something I don't intend to ever do again!  The pieces are fiddly and it's tricky to sew them all together.  But in the end, I think it worked out pretty well.  My friend liked it a lot and that's what counts.  Actually, that smiley face on the windshield is pretty endearing.



I couldn't resist signing up for a WOCS Fairy quilt square.  I had a pattern in my stash Li'l Fairies by Pine Glen Designs, with several funky little cuties that were just the right size.  I had stitched one of them a number of years ago, and now I know why I didn't do more.  The charts are very hard to follow.  The backstitching lines obscure the edges of the stitching so you have to guess which stitches are whole stitches and which are fractional. And I find it difficult to count when using charts that don't have a darker line every 10 stitches.  So she took a little longer and I did my fair share of frogging, but I do like the result for this quilt.  It's stitched on 32 count lugana.


While looking for something else, I came across two completed Paula Vaughn pieces that I completed a hundred years ago.  I never knew what to do with them and I decided they needed to come out of hiding.  So they have been donated to WOCS as well to use as they please, possibly on a "Ladie's Accessories" quilt, on a tote bag, or on a pillow.  I leave that to the sewers.  They are both done on 18 ct ivory Aida.

Paula Vaughn Reflections of the Past


Paula Vaughn Cameo of the Past


22 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Annie! I love your cute crochet airplane., a happy piece! Congrats on the finish! And how wonderful of you to donate your wonderful stitching to WOCS. I haven't as shipping has increased terribly. And my hand is acting up again. Happy day to you. Tomorrow we have Thanksgiving Day here! :)

Jane said...

What a cute little plane, I hate doing anything like that, lol.

Christine said...

The little plane is just adorable!

Hetti said...

Such a cute airplane and in such nice baby colors Annie! Especially that smile makes everyone happy :-))

Some patterns remain timeless even change your own taste over the years. I like the good idea to donate them to WOCS. The fairy is sooo cute!
XXX Hetti

Annette said...

That airplane is teh cutest!!
Itr really looks awesome!!
Thank youso much or the free link, years ago I went looking for a free one, but could not find a nice one!!
This one is very pretty.
Your stitching pieces are wonderfull, they will love it!!

Mii Stitch said...

Wow, that little airplane is just amazing! This is a perfect finish :)
Your little stitched fairy is adorable too, well done!!

Vickie said...

=) What an adorable plane! Well done! All of your donated pieces are great. That was a really good idea for your older pieces.

Kissy said...

Your plane turned out even better than I thought after our discussion!
I like the stitching with the... cabinet...
Good idea to donate these if they just sit around unused.

Anne said...

Very cute little airplane Annie! You did a fantastic job and his face is so adorable. I've been scared to try and do any sort of crocheted animal but maybe I'll try my hand at one eventually. So nice of you to donate those pieces. They are lovely and I'm sure the ladies will know what to do with them!

Margaret said...

Oh my gosh, I remember those Paula Vaughn pieces! I have at least one of her pieces as a UFO somewhere in a closet. Loved her designs once upon a time. LOVE how that airplane came out! Wow! I am so impressed with your skills. You are amazing! Love the fairy too.

Annette-California said...

Wonderful airplane you crocheted! His smile is too cute! Great job! I have Reflections of the past hanging on my wall. It was my very first cross stitch piece ever. So thoughtful of you to donate those beautiful samplers you stitched. Your fairy is darling.
love Annette

Carol said...

YAY! You finished the plane--and how cute it turned out. That face really is irresistible :) I'm sure your friend was very happy with the result...

Glad the fairy turned out so well in spite of the difficulties with the chart, Annie. I hate it, too, when those darker lines aren't there for guidance. And those old PV pieces!! I have several of her charts, but never stitched one--too much backstitching for me, but I know WOCS will be thrilled with your donations. A lot of time and patience went into those, that's for sure :)

Hope your week is going well--it's going to be 80 here today!!!!

Cole said...

That looks like a fun crochet finish! The smiley face makes him look like he came off the screen from Planes ;o)

Lovely stitching!

Mylene said...

Such a very cute airplane as well as the funky fairy!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love the airplane! So very cute. The fairy looks wonderful too and I'm sure the other two pieces will be put to good use. I never thought of donating. Great idea!

Sheryl said...

The airplane is a lovely piece of work. Pretty colours and a nice face. It looks really difficult and has turned out splendid.

Melanie said...

Fiddly or not these are both super cute. :)

GOD, I loved PV back in the nineties. I have a nice framed one with a vase of roses and a quilt with a needle in it. I still can't believe I stitched all those stinking roses in it either. Paula don't care 'bout how many color changes you have to make, eh? lol

Someone is going to LOVE those pieces! You know it. :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I think you nmade a fantastic job of the plane. It looks great, I am sure the baby will love playing with it.

I cannot crochet or knit and have no intention of learning, it would detract from my stitching time and the computer is bad enough for that LOL.

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Annie, this little airplane is just so sweet but I can see that it wasn't easy to crochet and sew together. But it's adorable. And so is the little fairy. So beautifully stitched.

I also have a stitched Paula Vaughan piece, my very first huge project with more than 70 colours. And I loved stitching it although it was at the beginning of my stitching career and I didn't know anything about fractional stitches back then. But I still love it although I haven't done anything with it after finishing it.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

What a super cute airplane! Love it.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

Been browsing through your blog and love all the finishing work on your pieces, I do not know how to sew so this is my weakness. Enjoy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

Hello

I love the airoplane and your stitching is lovely x