Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Holiday Altoid Tin and Regency Lady card

I'm really not one to stitch Christmasy Christmas ornaments.  Goes against my upbringing.  I usually choose winter scenes, birds, etc.  And I usually avoid Santas.  But out of curiosity I joined the FB Candy Cane Stitchers group and the first freebie offered was  "Silent Night" by Barbara Ana.  It's a cute pattern with a row of houses plus Santa and reindeer flying over the rooftops.  It has a lovely border as well.  I really adore Barbara's designs  and when I saw that with some mods I could fit it on an Altoid tin top, I decided to stitch it up.  The little red nose below was Vonna's idea that I copied.  I crocheted an Attic 24 snowflake for the inside and added a couple of snowflake buttons.  The design is stitched on 36 count linen over two.  With my abbreviations, it just about exactly fits the top... a close call.   Came out cuter than I expected actually, and I'll give it away in a couple of months.



My SIL, who really likes Downton Abbey, is having a birthday shortly. I searched around to see if I could find a card-sized pattern with a woman dressed in Edwardian finery.  Missed the mark, but I did find this Regency Lady by Barbara Westhoven in the Gift of Stitching Issue 55.  This is the Jane Austen period, but  old-fashioned elegance all the same.  Too windy to take pictures outside so the photos really don't do justice to the piece.  This is also on 36 count linen over two.  For the eagle-eyed among you, you may spot two half crosses that are missing their '\'s.  I've since repaired that more or less as you can see in the 3rd photo if you get your magnifying glass out.  Not easy to do once the card is assembled.  I think my SIL will like it.

30 comments:

Anne said...

Very lovely Barbara Ana design and it looks great on the tin! Lucky sister-in-law! Talented you are!! :)

Cole said...

Your tins are fabulous! That one fit so well with your modifications!

I'm sure your SIL will love the card - and I can tell you, I'm not very eagle eyed!!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Oh Annie, that tin is super cute! I'd love to make one myself but it wouldn't be nearly as cute as yours. Well done!

Vickie said...

Oh what a sweet finish on the Barbara Ana piece.
Fantastic card Annie!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Awesome stitch for the tin--have stitched a few but not a fall/Halloween one

Carol said...

Another awesome tin finish, Annie (hmmm... what would your mom think? ha ha!!) I saw this little design, but didn't even think of it for an Altoid tin. One of these days I'll get my nerve up and try one :)

Oh, good for you for filling in the missing stitches--I'm sure that wasn't easy... Hope your SIL loves her pretty card!

Margaret said...

That crochet snowflake is tiny! Wow! How did you manage that? Love the tin finish -- it's wonderful inside and out! Love that card too -- your SIL will love it! It's close enough to DA to me!

Anonymous said...

Hello Annie

I love the Altoid tin finish and the card is just gorgeous x

Blu said...

Great finishes! I'm sure your SIL will love the card.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

You know I love it Miss Annie!! Its adorable ;) And I adore your regency lady card too! You keep crafting lady!

Mylene said...

Both were perfectly finish, Annie!!
Great job!!

Jan said...

That is so cute! I love it. I have a tin stuck in a drawer. I may need to do something with it soon. You are inspiring me.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love your tin! The stitching design fits perfectly! You also know how much I love your little touches inside. The snowflake with the button is so very cute!

Jane said...

I thought of you the other day, saw altoids for sale. It's the first time I'd ever seen them in the UK. I did consider getting one to decorate, but you're the queen of the altoid tins

Annette-California said...

You did it again. I LOVE your incredible tin and the pretty snowflakes you made for inside. Beautiful!!! Your SIL is going to love her card too:)
love Annette

Preeti said...

Your tin box is very cute !! And the stitched card looks lovely too.

Mii Stitch said...

Great finishes but your little tin is my favourite :) Love the design, the inside and the trims all around!! Looks fab :)

KimM said...

Wow - what great ideas - and gorgeous stitching! One lucky SIL!!!
xxx

Sheryl said...

Just love your tin, it´s really lovely and will make a perfect Christmas gift. The Edwardian lady is beautiful too - lovely work.

Christine said...

Your tin is gorgeous! Love the Regency lady too

Mary Ann said...

Two beautiful finishes! I am sure your SIL is going to love the card, and the Christmas tin will be a wonderful gift for someone!!

Kaisievic said...

Beautiful stitching, Annie. I love both of these finishes. You have a lovely blog. I am a new follower, I came across from Kim from Wisdom with Needle and Thread's blog. Please come visit me at http://kittenstitching.blogspot.com

Hetti said...

Hi Annie, I love the Altoid tin because it's such a nice winter scene and it fits perfectly.
Your Jane Austen lady is so charming with a modern twist in these colors.
Very nice gifts!
XXX Hetti

Brigitte said...

Your little altoid tins are all so special. And this one is another sweet finish, so beautifully stitched and decorated. I'm not a Christmas stitcher either but this little scene is so sweet.

Oh my, what a gorgeous card for your SIL. I love that regency lady very much.

Kissy said...

You always find the prettiest patterns!

trillium said...

Cute tin, and I like those buttons on the inside. I haven't made any Altoid tins yet.

Anonymous said...

Very lovely tin and the card is very pretty,too.

Melanie said...

That is just the cutest tin! The snowflakes inside are just awesome. Love it!
Missing stitches? God, I would never have caught that. Looks great to me. :)

Shebafudge said...

Your altoid tin is amazing! Love it.

Annette said...

Your first projecy from the new fb group is lovely!
And it really fits perfect on the tin.
The card is lovely, she wil love it!!