Saturday, October 21, 2017

Manic Mushroom, Halloween and Birthday Card

So I was once again totally charmed by Fairy Wool in the Wood.  I'm so pleased that a newer, fun designer like Cassandra had some good exposure in the Oct, 2017 issue of JCS.  I almost immediately grabbed a needle when I saw  this "Manic Mushroom"  Halloween ornament design.  It's quirky like all of her designs.  I hope you can see the expression on the face of that large mushroom after he has discovered that he's destined for the dinner table.

This is stitched on 32 count linen over-two.  I finished it up as a pouch for a 6" embroidery hoop.  The backing fabric is the same as the bottom fabric.  It's lined as all mine are and has a snap closure in the inside center. Turned out pretty good for me.. less wonky than some.




Durene Jones shares a freebie on her FB page every Friday.   For some reason, this particular  one caught my eye, even though the heavily back-stitched designs that are so popular in the UK are not to my taste so much these days.  This is called "Pumpkin Boy", but I think of this as a female character.   When I wrote a message on the inside of the card, I referred to her as "Pumpkinette".   I think I liked the way those vines twisted around her arms giving some kind of feather boa effect.  I wasn't sure I loved her after the stitching was complete, but the card showed her off and it's in the mail.  This is stitched over-two on 28 count Summer Khaki Cashel linen... easy on the eyes!

I think THIS LINK will take you to Durene's photos, with this chart included, even though you may not be FB member, but I'm not sure.


I needed a birthday card for an early November birthday girl.  I send a stitched card to this person every year and it gets harder each time to think of something different to stitch.   This time I selected a snippet from the free design,  Snowflower Diaries Pumpkins for Cathey. 

I'm not usually a fan of yellow, but it worked out well for this card I think.  It's stitched over-2 on 32 count linen.  


13 comments:

Vickie said...

Ha ha! Yes, Manic Mushroom caught my eye too! It is fun!
What sweet, sweet cards you created.

Robin in Virginia said...

I really like your hoop pouch, Annie! It turned out great and thanks for the heads up on a new designer. Both your cards are fun. Enjoy your weekend!

ricketyjo said...

Sweet stitching Annie. I hate doing the backstitch but sometimes it is necessary just to make everything look just right :)

Margaret said...

You pick out the cutest designs -- I really like them all! Everything looks great!

Jane said...

that mushroom is so expressive, a fun design! Love the card too, perfect for November

Holly said...

It definitely looks like a feather boa! I like how you take snippets of larger designs to make cards. If anyone cross stitched a card for me, I would feel so special - hope your recipient does too.

Brigitte said...

Annie, I love the two cards that you stitched and finished. They have lovely motifs and the ribbons you found for them look so good.
Wonderful, your mew pouch for a hoop. I think it's great when JCS includes also some of the newer designers into their special issues like on Halloween, but also in their normal issues. There is so much going on in the cross stitch world designer-wise.

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Your projects are lovely. I enjoyed looking at the cards. I want to start making some cards out of my smalls, so I need the ideas and inspiration. Hope you don't mind if I 'steal' them from you. They look great!

Anne said...

Lovely stitching as always Annie! I also love the designs you pick! Im still stitching on Lizzie Kate Jingles and decided on adding Christmas Wishes from another of her free designs to complete it. I'll post a pic once done, on my blog. Also I have probably about 35 altoid tins give or take, and wonder if youd like some of them? Bye for now! Happy Stitching! :)

Mini said...

I love the cards, agree with you on the excessive back stitching on Pumpkin though.
The embroidery hoop pouch will be so useful.

Jackie's Stitches said...

My eye keeps going back to your hoop bag! It's so cute and the fabric you used to co-ordinate with the linen and design is just perfect!

Sheryl said...

Lovely hoop pocket Annie and cute design on the pretty card.

Carol said...

How cute is that hoop pouch! You must be so organized with all the pouches you create for your hoops :)

I love your pumpkin creature! But, I like you, hate the backstitching that you always see in British cross stitch magazines so I don't think I've ever stitched anything from them.

Lovely little bunny--I think of Cathey each time I see that design.

Enjoy your evening!