Sunday, November 16, 2008

Boy designs

Does everyone have as much trouble as I do thinking of things to stitch for males? I mean embroidery is inherently a girlie thing, but you would think there would be more suitable subjects for designs than what's available. I wanted to make a luggage tag for a guy. Not sure if any self-respecting guy would use an x-stitched tag, but I was hoping I could find the right thing. I looked through a gazillion mags. Found some things if the guy goes for stereotypical themes like fishing and golf, but not more general designs, at least not in the right size. I finally settled on this sailboat and lighthouse scene. I think the intended recipient will graciously thank me, but I don't know if he he will actually ever use it.

This design is from the August, 2005 issue of Stoney Creek magazine.



And while I was at it, I finished up the little mousie as an ornament:

11 comments:

Olga said...

Annie,
I think you've found a great design for men, I am wondering where.
And your Mouse ornament is just fabulous! Great job on both pieces!

Mylene said...

I love how you finished the Mousie ornament and that's a wonderful design for men. Great job, Annie!

Jane said...

Alovely finish and a great deisgn for a male. I stiched a boat and river scene for my father once

Pumpkin said...

I know my DH would use it :o) I think you picked a great design Annie.

She's adorable!

mainely stitching said...

It looks masculine enough to me!

I was thinking of your luggage tags the other day when Lola, our puppy, chewed my leather tags off the suitcases during the approximately 90 seconds I was busy looking elsewhere. :0

Anonymous said...

What kind of man wouldn't want to be in this place - a boat, a nice view and great nature? I think it looks great Annie! But I agree, it is hard to find something nice to stitch for boys/men. Your little mouse is really cute and I love the fabric Miek has dyed for you.

Rachel S-H said...

I think that is a good one. Men are hard to stitch for. if SO didn't like lighthouses, I'd have nothing to do for him.

Daffycat said...

Perfect design for a man! I love the scene too.

Oh, I adore how you finished miss mousie! Really nice, Annie!

Patty said...

I have the same problem. All my patterns are so girlie. The tag is nice -- I hope he uses it -- and your mouse is cute!

Umintsuru said...

Hi Annie,

The lighthouse looks just right for a boy!
Wendy

Sandra said...

Lovely pieces Annie!!! I find the lighthouse a very appropriate design for a boy. The mouse is darling!!!