Saturday, November 29, 2008

Fun with feather stitch

I've been admiring all the eye candy on Stichin' Fingers, especially all the embroidery that the Crazy Quilters and others do for embellishments. You can view the photos on that site without joining I think. Thought I'd try a little seam treatment on this ornament using a feather stitch with some beads. I was really just winging it (no pun intended), with no real idea what I was doing. This was a popular cross stitch design by Brittercup in the 2007 JCS ornament issue, stitched on 28 ct Annabelle (a wonderful fabric, by the way, if you can find it). I stitched it last year a little too late to use. I meant to leave more white space around the design, but I accidentally trimmed the piece too close and didn't allow enough room for seam allowance. Oh well.. I'll do better next time (maybe). You can click on the photo to get a closer view of the stitching.

9 comments:

connie said...

I think it looks nice..very pretty..Connie

Jane said...

Annie, that looks lovely. A wonderful way to add extra interest

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Your feather stitches are perfect! Lovely cross stitch design.
Hugs,Pat

Ginnie said...

What a lovely way to finish your stitching.

Pumpkin said...

It's lovely Annie! I've seen that stitch before but have never done it myself. Great job :o)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful done, Annie!
I would have used feather stitch as well. It's lovely and easy done.

mainely stitching said...

Wow, Annie, that sets it off so well!

Sandra said...

Annie it looks perfect! The colors are luscious and the beading edging with the feather stitch is very elegant!

You might not have intended to make it look that way but I'm telling you this is how the serendipity principle works: you discover something out of pure luck. In your case, it was a fortunate thing because, in my opinion, the red border makes it luxurious. Love it!

Anonymous said...

realy beautiful, and wath a way to finish it, bravo
miek