Friday, November 7, 2008

Peace on Earth

I'm on a roll with themes of peace this year I guess. My partner, Kerry, in the ornament swap on Stitchin' Fingers received the ornament I made for her. The little ornie arrived after a three-week journey from the U.S. to Canada.

The design is from an old issue of Cross Stitch and Country Crafts magazine. Seemed perfect for an oval frame. I use Stitch Witchery to bond the border fabric to the stitching. To make the oval, I use two pieces of border fabric. On one I draw the oval on the wrong side, centered. I sew the two pieces wrong sides together, stitching on the oval. Then I cut out the oval, leaving 1/4" seam allowance and clip the curves at 1/4" intervals; Turn to the right side, press, and voila!.. a fabric mat with an oval opening.

I owe that technique to Nita who sent me a ream of step by step instructional photos of this some time ago.

I did the edge like the Peace Stocking ornament with beads attached by regular straight pins.

7 comments:

Jane said...

The fabric and edging really set the stitching off a treat

Olga said...

Very cute ornament!

Pumpkin said...

That's just lovely Annie! What a neat technique. I might have to try that sometime :o)

Daffycat said...

How wonderful, Annie! I really like your finishing!

Jan said...

Wow that looks great. I really need to practice finishing LOL.

Mylene said...

wow! That turned out a great ornament. Well done!

Rachel S-H said...

I was just looking at that chart! Very lovely finish!